The mission of the Surf City Code Enforcement team is to improve and maintain the quality of life for neighborhoods throughout the Town.
Upgrade and preserve the housing stock. Support positive attitudes of residents, homeowners, investors, lenders, appraisers, and realtors towards the neighborhood. Achieve voluntary compliance with code provisions. If you have any questions please contact us as voluntary compliance and education are our first priorities.
It is our goal within the Town of Surf City to help keep our beaches, streets, and walkways clean for everyone to enjoy! As the summer season is fast approaching, the Town will continue to be putting an increased emphasis on discarded beach items and any accumulation of uncontained trash.
Uncontained trash will be cited prior to pick up and improperly disposed of beach items will be monitored the day following trash pickup. If cited for either reason, it will result in a $100 fine.
Here are some ways that you can help to keep our town clean!
- Place all bagged trash in a container prior to trash pick-up.
- Properly dispose of broken beach equipment including chairs, umbrellas, & tents in trash containers.
- Avoid leaving trash and beach equipment on the ground during trash pickup.
For more information regarding our trash container ordinances please visit, https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/surfcity/latest/surfcity_nc/0-0-0-3016#JD_15-4
Code Enforcement is the enforcement of the Town of Surf City’s local laws (Surf City Municipal Code), primarily about the upkeep of properties and the removal of public nuisances. Most violations of local laws enforced by the Code Enforcement section are handled with an administrative process which is an approach to get property owners to comply with the law and maintain the appearance, function, safety and “quality of life” of neighborhoods. Besides the administrative process, civil and criminal processes are sometimes used to solve violations also.
Common code violations are:
- Trash cart violations are enforced when carts are not rolled back by 6pm day after
- Sign violations, including signs in the public right-of-way, non-permitted signs, off-site signs
- Overgrown foliage blocking stop signs, impeding lines of sight
- Encroachments/obstructions in the public right-of-way/spaces (construction, fences, walls etc.)
- Nuisances (grass in excess of 18 inches, conditions that would be suitable habitat for vermin)
Who should I contact for a Code Enforcement question?
Office Location & Mailing Address:
214 W. Florence Way
Surf City, North Carolina 28445
Monday - Friday
7:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.
If you would like to file a request for Code Enforcement, please submit one here: Complaint Form
It is Code Enforcement’s policy to keep the source of the complaint confidential. There is a potential, however, that Code Enforcement may be ordered to reveal this information in a court proceeding.
Who handles Code Enforcement violations?
Code Enforcement, a section of the Community Development Department, has the primary duty to investigate and use the administrative, civil and/or criminal processes to resolve code enforcement violations.
Code enforcement officers have the authority and powers needed to gain compliance with the laws. They may use whatever legal and administrative solutions allowed by local law or state law. Voluntary compliance is always the first choice.
Current or Valid Food Truck Holders Food Truck Application - Click Here
|Food Truck Name||Expiration Date|
|Port City Plates||1/4/2024|
|The Sea Queen||1/10/2024|
|Top Dog Hotdogs and Catering LLC||1/25/2024|
|Tanja's Hella Fat Foods||2/14/2024|
|Made in Venezuelan Foods LLC||2/15/2024|
|Meraki Kafe LLC||2/16/2024|
|Colvevanelli's Italian Ice||3/1/2024|
|Southern Roots Food Truck||4/11/2024|
|Deli Works LLC||4/20/2024|
|Smoke N Grind||5/10/2024|
|Smoke N Grind||5/15/2024|
|Myrna's Fil-Am Food||5/17/2024|
|Southern Breeze Seafood||5/19/2024|
|Crazy Mason OTG||6/16/2024|
|Kona Ice of Coastal Carolina||6/16/2024|
|Sunset Slush of TI||7/3/2024|
|Mr. Wilsons Burgers and Bites||7/7/2024|
|Restored Coffee LLC||7/14/2024|
|All Rolled Up LLC||8/2/2024|
|Wilmie Woody Inc.||9/15/2024|
Citation Appellate Committee Schedule for 2022-2023
- December 15, 2022 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- March 25, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- May 25, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- June 22, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- July 27, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- August 24, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- September 28, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex
- December 14, 2023 @ 2:30 P.M. at the municipal complex